Wednesday 7 October 2015

It’s National Poetry Day…!


For the Guardian of Minack (October 1987)

This afternoon I found
          that you had died
     And I was glad
          that I was all alone
For inevitable rivers
          of tears flow
     And waters leap
          where you have gone
And this is all I know
          save
That deaths and entrances are all we crave

And where will you go
          now that all your goings are done?
     A subtle lightening
          in the new child’s eyes
     Much more than such
          a suitable joy
     For this you gave
That deaths and entrances are all we crave

And through this joining
          although it may force crying
     I was so glad
          that I was all alone
And as the fragile life force
          leaps
     It’s old to new religions
          now
          that vow
That deaths and entrances are all we crave


No comments: